According to an article published by The Miami Herald, the convenience store, mini-grocery, restaurant known as “downstairs” located at 5655 NW 36th Street in Miami Springs, failed an inspection from the Florida Department of Agriculture on July 12, 2019.
According to the Florida Department of Agriculture, “downstairs” did not need to shut down, but the summary required a “Re-Inspection.” Re-Inspection Required is an inspection where violations were cited that will require a re-inspection by the Department.
In total there were 23 violations. The most egregious violations include, but were not limited to:
- Improper washing of hands / food handling
- Improper storage of raw animal foods
- Improper cleaning
- Inadequate sanitization
- Improper storage of frozen foods
- Old food that exceeded 7 day limit
Here’s the full list of the 23 violations that were cited on July 13, 2021:
- A pattern of non-compliance is demonstrated with regard to the duties of the person in charge. 2-103.11(A)-(N) and (P) Pf – PERSON IN CHARGE DID NOT DEMONSTRATE ACTIVE MANAGERIAL CONTROL AS EVIDENCED BY THE FOLLOWING CITATIONS: HAND WASHING, COOKING, COOLING, AND HOT AND COLD HOLDING.
- The establishment does not require food employees or conditional employees to report to the person in charge information about their health and activities as they relate to reportable symptoms, diagnosis, past illnesses or history of exposure to diseases that are transmissible through food. Food employee or conditional employee does not report necessary additional information such as date of onset of symptoms or illness, or diagnosis without symptoms. 2-201.11(A) P – NO EMPLOYEE HEALTH POLICY AVAILABLE REGARDING FOOD BORNE ILLNESSES AND THEIR SYMPTOMS. COPY OF THE EMPLOYEE HEALTH GUIDE AND REPORTING AGREEMENT PROVIDED.
- Food employee not cleaning hands, exposed portions o of arms or prosthetic devices for at least 20 seconds or not using the following cleaning procedures: rinse under warm water, apply soap, rub together for 10-15 seconds, rinse under warm water, and thoroughly dry with paper towels or a hand drying device. 2-301.12 P – KITCHEN, BACKROOM – FOOD EMPLOYEE OBSERVED RINSING FINGERTIPS WITH WATER AND THEN DRYING HANDS WITH PAPER TOWEL. DISCUSSED PROPER HAND WASHING PROCEDURES WITH MANAGEMENT.
- Food employee not cleaning hands or exposed o portions of arms immediately before engaging in food preparation including working with exposed food, clean equipment or utensils, or unwrapped single service or single use articles; after touching bare human body parts; after using the toilet room; after caring for or handling service animals or aquatic animals; after coughing, sneezing, using a handkerchief or tissue, using tobacco, eating or drinking; after handling soiled equipment or utensils; during food preparation as often as necessary to remove soil and prevent cross contamination; before donning gloves to initiate a task that involves working with food; or after engaging in other activities that contaminate the hands. 2-301.14 P – KITCHEN, BACKROOM – FOOD EMPLOYEES OBSERVED EXITING AND REENTERING FOOD PREPARATION AREAS AND DONNING GLOVES TO WORK WITH OPEN FOODS WITHOUT FIRST WASHING THEIR HANDS. PROPER HAND WASHING DISCUSSED WITH MANAGEMENT.
- Handwashing sink not equipped to provide hot water x at a temperature of at least 100°F through a mixing valve or combination faucet. 5-202.12(A) Pf – KITCHEN – NO HOT WATER AVAILABLE FOR HAND SINK LOCATED NEXT TO GRILL. BACKROOM – NO HOT WATER AVAILABLE FOR HAND SINK LOCATED NEXT TO PREPARATION SINK. COS, WATER HEATER THAT SERVICES HAND SINKS IN THE KITCHEN AND BACKROOM AREA WAS REPLACED DURING INSPECTION.
- Food not safe, or is adulterated. 3-101.11 P – BACKROOM – OBSERVED BLACK FLY SITTING ON CUT TOMATO ON TOP OF PREPARATION TABLE COLD UNIT. COS, TOMATO WAS VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION.
- Single-use gloves not used for only one task, used for x another purpose, or not discarded when damaged or soiled or when interruptions occur in the operation. 3-304.15(A) P – KITCHEN – FOOD EMPLOYEE OBSERVED USING GLOVED HANDS TO CUT RAW CHICKEN BREAST AND THEN USING THE SAME GLOVES TO TOUCH SPATULAS AND BOTTLES OF SPICES. COS, FOOD EMPLOYEE DISCARDED GLOVES, WASHED HANDS, AND DONNED NEW GLOVES AND SPATULAS AND BOTTLES WERE WASHED, RINSED, AND SA
- Raw animal food not separated during storage, x preparation, holding or display from ready-to-eat raw animal food, other raw ready-to-eat food, cooked ready-to-eat food, or fruits and vegetables before they are washed. 3-302.11(A)(1) P – KITCHEN – CONTAINER OF RAW POOLED EGGS FOUND STORED ABOVE CONTAINER OF PACKAGED GREEN HOT SAUCE ON SHELF IN REACH-IN COLD UNIT NEXT TO HAND SINK. COS, ITEM WAS MOVED TO APPROPRIATE LOCATION DURING INSPECTION.
- Equipment food-contact surface or utensil not clean to x sight and touch. 4-601.11(A) Pf – KITCHEN – DELI SLICER STORED ON TOP OF REACH-IN COLD UNIT ACROSS FROM SANDWICH STATION FOUND WITH OLD FOOD RESIDUE ON MEAT GRIP AND ON SLICER BLADE. COS, EQUIPMENT WAS WASHED, RINSED, AND SANITIZED DURING INSPECTION.
- Chemical sanitizer used in a sanitizing solution for a x manual or mechanical operation does not meet the criteria specified for sanitizers, is not used in accordance with the EPA-registered manufacturer’s label use instructions, or chlorine solution does not have a minimum temperature based on the concentration and pH of the solution as listed: concentration 25-49 MG/L, pH 10 or less and minimum water temperature 120°F; concentration 50-99 MG/L, pH 10 or less and minimum water temperature 100°F or pH 8 or less and minimum water temperature 75°F; concentration 100 MG/L, pH 10 or less and minimum water temperature 55°F. 4-501.114(A) P – WARE WASH ROOM – MECHANICAL DISHWASHER FOUND NOT SANITIZING EQUIPMENT WITH THE CONCENTRATION OF CHLORINE SANITIZER INSIDE THE DISHWASHER AT 0 PPM. COS, FOOD ESTABLISHMENT HAS VOLUNTARILY DECIDED TO REMOVE THE DISHWASHER FROM SERVICE UNTIL IT HAS BEEN REPAIRED BY A TECHNICIAN AND CAN PROPERLY SANITIZE FOOD EQUIPMENT AND UTENSILS.
- Raw ratites; mechanically tenderized or injected x meats; comminuted fish, meat, game animals commercially raised for food or game animals under a voluntary inspection program; or eggs that are not broken and prepared in response to a consumer’s order and for immediate service not cooked to heat all parts to 155°F or above for 17 seconds, 145°F or above for 3 minutes, 150°F or above for 1 minute, or 158°F instantaneously. 3-401.11(A)(2) P – KITCHEN – MECHANICALLY TENDERIZED THIN BEEF STEAK REMOVED FROM GRILL AS FULLY COOKED WAS PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND AT 135-138*F. COS, THIN BEEF STEAK WAS COOKED TO A MINIMUM 155*F FOR 17 SECONDS DURING INSPECTION.
- Raw poultry; baluts; wild game animals; stuffed fish, x meat, pasta, poultry, ratites; or stuffing containing raw fish, meat, poultry or ratites not cooked to heat all parts to 165°F instantaneously. 3-401.11(A)(3) P – KITCHEN – CHOPPED CHICKEN BREAST REMOVED FROM GRILL AS FULLY COOKED WAS PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND AT 144*F. COS, CHICKEN BREAST WAS COOKED TO AT LEAST 165*F DURING INSPECTION.
- Time/temperature control for safety food prepared x from ingredients at ambient temperature not cooled within 4 hours to 41°F or less. 3-501.14(B) P – KITCHEN – CONTAINER OF CUT TOMATOES STORED IN SANDWICH PREPARATION STATION WERE PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND AT 39-45*F AFTER FOUR HOURS OF COOLING. COS, ITEM WAS VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION. BACKROOM – LARGE CONTAINER OF SHREDDED LETTUCE STORED IN WALK-IN COOLER WAS PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND AT 45-47*F AFTER FOUR HOURS OF COOLING. COS, ITEM WAS VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION.
- Cooked time/temperature control for safety food not x cooled within 2 hours from 135°F to 70°F, or within a total of 6 hours from 135°F to 41°F or less. 3-501.14(A) P – BACKROOM – LARGE TRAY OF COOKED GARBANZO BEANS STORED IN REACH-IN COLD UNIT AT 9:30AM WAS PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND AT 84*F AFTER TWO HOURS OF COOLING. COS, ITEM WAS VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION.
- Hot held time/temperature control for safety food not x maintained at 135°F or above, or roast cooked or reheated to a temperature and for a time specified for cooking roast in the Food Code not hot held at 130°F or above. 3-501.16(A)(1) P – KITCHEN – SWEET PLANTAINS FOUND AT 100-123*F AND BOILED YUCA FOUND AT 121-131*F ON TRAYS AT STEAM TABLE. COS, ITEMS WERE REHEATED TO 165*F DURING INSPECTION. KITCHEN – MULTIPLE ITEMS IN PASTRY HOT UNIT WERE PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND OUT OF TEMPERATURE: CHICKEN EMPANADAS AT 86-90*F, HAM CROQUETTES AT 89.5-95*F, COLOMBIAN BEEF EMPANADAS AT 85-89*F, SPINACH EMPANADAS AT 89*F, PAPA RELLENA AT 88*F, YUCA RELLENA AT 86.7*F, AND HAM AND CHEESE CACHITOS AT 83-85*F. COS, ITEMS WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION.
- Cold held time/temperature control for safety food not x maintained at 41°F or below. 3-501.16(A)(2) P – KITCHEN – MULTIPLE ITEMS IN SANDWICH STATION REACH-IN COLD UNIT WERE PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND OUT OF TEMPERATURE: SLICED SWISS CHEESE AT 47.5*F, SLICED HAM AT 44*F, SLICED ROAST PORK AT 45-46*F, AND SLICED TURKEY RUBEN AT 44.6*F. COS, ITEMS WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION. MULTIPLE ITEMS IN REACH-IN COLD UNIT NEXT TO OVEN WERE PROBED WITH A CALIBRATED THERMOMETER AND FOUND OUT OF TEMPERATURE: SLICED HAM AT 53-54*F, CUT TOMATO AT 51.8*F, BLOCK OF PROVOLONE AT 42*F, BLOCK OF HAVARTI CHEESE AT 49.7*F, AND OPENED BLOCK OF PROSCIUTTO AT 50.7*F. COS, SLICED HAM, CUT TOMATO, AND BLOCK OF HAVARTI CHEESE WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION. BLOCK OF PROVOLONE AND PROSCIUTTO WERE PLACED UNDER PROPER REFRIGERATION DURING INSPECTION. BACKROOM – MULTIPLE ITEMS ON COLD TOP OF REACH-IN COLD UNIT WERE FOUND OUT OF TEMPERATURE: CUT TOMATOES AT 44-50*F, CANNED CORN AT 47*F, SHREDDED LETTUCE AT 46-50*F, AND PARMASAN CHEESE AT 47*F. COS, ITEMS WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION. MULTIPLE ITEMS ON SHELVES OF WALK-IN COOLER WERE FOUND OUT OF TEMPERATURE: CONTAINER OF WHITE RICE AT 42.7-43*F, BROWN SAUCE WITH RAW TOMATOES AT 47-50*F, AND CHIMICHURRI SAUCE WITH GARLIC AND OIL AT 41.9-42.6*F. COS, ITEMS WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION.
- Ready-to-eat time/temperature control for safety food x that requires date marking not discarded when it exceeds the 7-day limit, except time that the product is frozen, or does not bear a date mark and the correct date mark cannot be determined. 3-501.18 P – BACKROOM – TRAY OF SPAGHETTI AND TRAY OF PICADILLO MADE ON 7/5 FOUND ON SHELF IN WALK-IN COOLER AFTER MORE THAN SEVEN DAYS. COS, ITEMS WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION.
- Refrigerated, ready-to-eat, time/temperature control x for safety food prepared and held for more than 24 hours not clearly marked to indicate the date or day by which the food shall be consumed, sold or discarded when held at 41°F or less for a maximum of 7 days; or the day of preparation not counted as day 1. 3-501.17(A) Pf – BACKROOM – TRAY OF SPAGHETTI AND TRAY OF PICADILLO MADE ON 7/5 FOUND ON SHELF IN WALK-IN COOLER AFTER MORE THAN SEVEN DAYS. COS, ITEMS WERE VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DURING INSPECTION. BACKROOM – TRAYS OF YELLOW RICE, PERUVIAN STYLE BEEF, CHICHARRON WITH MEAT, AND WHITE RICE FOUND WITHOUT DATE MARKING ON SHELF IN WALK-IN COOLER. COS, YELLOW RICE, PERUVIAN STYLE BEEF, AND CHICHARRON WITH MEAT WERE CORRECTLY DATE MARKED. WHITE RICE WAS VOLUNTARILY DISCARDED BY MANAGEMENT DUE TO ANOTHER CITATION (COLD HOLDING).
- Disclosure for animal food that is raw, undercooked, o or not otherwise processed to eliminate pathogens and served or sold in a ready-to-eat form or as an ingredient in another ready-to-eat food does not include a description of the animal-derived food or identification of the animal-derived food by asterisking it to a footnote that states that the items are served raw or undercooked, or contain (or may contain) raw or undercooked ingredients. 3-603.11(B) Pf – KITCHEN – NO CONSUMER ADVISORY DISCLOSURE FOR EGGS AND BEEF STEAK COOKED TO CUSTOMER ORDER.
- Establishment does not have a certified food o protection manager who has passed a test through a recognized accredited program. 5K-4.021(1), F.A.C. – FOOD ESTABLISHMENT DID NOT HAVE A CERTIFIED FOOD PROTECTION MANAGER.
- Time/temperature control for safety food not thawed o under refrigeration that maintains the food at 41°F or less, completely submerged under cold running water with sufficient velocity to agitate and float off loose particles, or as part of the cooking process. When thawed under cold running water, ready-to-eat food allowed to rise above 41°F or raw animal food allowed to be above 41°F for more than 4 hours. 3-501.13 (A)- (D) – BACKROOM – TRAYS OF FROZEN CHICKEN, BEEF, AND SPINACH EMPANADAS AND TRAY OF CHEESE PASTRIES FOUND THAWING AT AMBIENT TEMPERATURE ON ROLLING RACK BY BACK DOOR.
- Equipment not maintained in good repair or condition; x equipment component not kept intact, tight, and adjusted in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications; or cutting or piercing part of can opener not kept sharp to minimize the creation of metal fragments that can contaminate food when a container is opened. 4-501.11 – KITCHEN – SANDWICH STATION COLD UNIT IN DISREPAIR WITH AN AMBIENT TEMPERATURE OF 45-46*F AND UNABLE TO HOLD TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT FOOD ITEMS AT AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF 41*F OR BELOW. REACH-IN COLD UNIT NEXT TO OVEN FOUND IN DISREPAIR WITH AN AMBIENT TEMPERATURE OF 50-54*F AND UNABLE TO HOLD TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT FOOD ITEMS AT AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF 41*F OR BELOW. COS, ALL ITEMS WERE REMOVED FROM SANDWICH STATION COLD UNIT AND UNIT WAS REMOVED FROM SERVICE UNTIL REPAIRED BY TECHNICIAN. REACH-IN COLD UNIT NEXT TO OVEN WAS REPAIRED BY A TECHNICIAN DURING INSPECTION. BACKROOM – REACH-IN COLD UNIT WITH PREPARATION TABLE FOUND IN DISREPAIR WITH AN AMBIENT TEMPERATURE OF 39-43*F AND UNABLE TO HOLD TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT FOOD ITEMS AT AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF 41*F OR BELOW. COS, COLD UNIT WAS REPAIRED BY A TECHNICIAN DURING INSPECTION.
- The food establishment permit is not conspicuously o displayed. 5K-4.020(2)(d) F.A.C. – 2021 FOOD PERMIT NOT DISPLAYED DURING INSPECTION.