As we age, our bodies experience a decrease in slow wave (or deep) sleep and, as a result, produce less melatonin. This can lead to insomnia and frequent waking throughout the night. However, getting enough sleep improves concentration and memory formation, helps the body repair any cell damage from the day, revitalizes the immune system to help stave off disease.
Tips to Fall Asleep Faster and Stay Asleep Longer
If you’re unhappy with the amount or quality of sleep you get, don’t worry. The tips below can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer:
- Ensure your bedroom is quiet and cool.
- Don’t watch TV or read from a back lit device at night (tablet, smartphone, etc.).
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule.
- Practice relaxing bedtime rituals (taking a bath or listening to quiet music).
- Minimize liquid intake before bed.
- Limit caffeine intake late in the day.
- Avoid using sleep aids and sleeping pills.
- Exercise a few hours before bed.
If you are experiencing problems with the quality of sleep, schedule an appointment at CIMA Medical Center. We will be happy to help you!